Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS)
An easy way to become involved in education is to be a part of the VIPS (Volunteers in Public Schools) program. No special skills are needed, although volunteers are encouraged to share any talents or interests they have. Each year volunteers contribute more than 92,000 hours of service to Newport News Public Schools.
After their application is approved, a volunteer can:
- Tutor or mentor a student
- Teach students about job skills
- Serve as a guest speaker
- Provide clerical help
- Assist teachers in the classroom
- Work in a school library and sort, shelve and collect materials for classroom projects
- Serve as a chaperone on a field trip.
Interested in volunteering? Please complete the Volunteer Form to get started.